Re: Big Question, Big Thanks

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Big Question, Big Thanks
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 08:54:56 -0700
A couple of people have asked me why solid lifters?

Because the car originally came with them and I'd like to maintain
originality; because usage will be so low that valve adjustments won't
be that big of a hassle, and my secret reason:  I like the clatter they
make.

I figured that if I could put up with adjusting the valve on a air
cooled VW for more than 20 years, a Cobra will be a piece of cake.  At
least I won't have to lay in an oil slick while I'm doing it.

If this car was going to be a daily driver, I'd find myself a EFI 302
and modern 5-speed gear box and stash the original stuff in the corner
of the garage for the next owner.

Also I may not have been clear about the fact that the extra set of
heads I have, the ones that have already been worked over, are also HiPo
heads.  That is, they already have the screw-in rocker studs and
special porting.

BTW, when the rebuilt HiPo goes in, the stock 2V 289 comes out and will
have to go.  If you anticipate the need for one sometime in the future,
stay tuned.

Roland