RE: Spare tire hold down and Jack

To: Ron Franklin <oldhaven@biddeford.com>,
Subject: RE: Spare tire hold down and Jack
From: Dave McDermott <mcdermott_d@WIZARD.COLORADO.EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 13:56:57 -0600
        Ron,
        I had those 8 spokes on my first Tiger that I bought in 68. I think
they were called Silverstones or something like that. As you mentioned they
are real magnesium. After around ten to fifteen years of use the front ones
developed hairline stress cracks around the bolt holes. At least they did
not break while I was driving. Although I think there are a few places that
can weld magnesium I did not want to worry about the center of the wheel
separating so I switched to the aluminum alloy 4 spoke American Libras on my
street Tigers. I have been very happy with those. I use the 5s on the front
and the 7s on the back which helps even up the track.
        I really question with todays wider and better tires whether the 30
year old magnesium wheels are safe. I have heard the same thing about real
magnesium wheels becoming brittle with age and the ones I had did start to
crack.

        Dave