Re: Lubricants in Steering Rack

To: tigers@autox.team.net, p21988@gegpo8.geg.mot.com
Subject: Re: Lubricants in Steering Rack
From: winbladg@apps5.credence.COM (Gary Winblad)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 96 09:09:12 PDT
>Does anyone out there have a sure fire way to check and fill  the fluid in
>the steering rack without taking it off the car, emptying it and refill with
>a known quantity of oil?

You just have to turn the car on its side!   I've managed to change a bad
boot and not loosing much oil by jacking that side as high  as I could,
working it back and forth a few times to get the oil flowed to the other
side...  removing the old oil could probably be done the same way (opposite
way..?).

> BTW, has anyone tried synthetic 90 weight lube
> in the rack or anything else that improves steering effort?

No but I just bought a rack from Ken Mattice.  He filled it (and all his)
with synthetic ATF.. he said it works great.  I haven't had a chance to
try it yet...

Gary