Auto Parts Club

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Auto Parts Club
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 13:19:50 -0700
This is mostly only relevant to SF Bay Area residents.

Okay, I'm convinced that I need to get a new water pump.  There are some
differences between the HiPo pump and a stock pump.  One difference I
know of for sure is that the HiPo pump has fewer impeller fins.  My old
pump has an aluminum case, but I don't know if that was strictly a HiPo
feature.  Anyway, my question is:  Is the Auto Parts Club likely to
carry this pump?  The reason I'm asking is because I've gone there about
a half a dozen times over the past few years with the intention of
biting the bullet and paying for a membership, but each time I've gone
they didn't have what I wanted and I ended up leaving without buying
anything or joining.  Last time was pretty close.  I was looking for a
alternator, but '65 was the earliest year they had and my old one
differed slightly from a '65.  My car is a '64 and the engine and
alternator were manufactured in '63.  I probably could have used a '65,
but I would have had to modify the wiring harness, so I opted to get the
old alternator rebuilt.

Anyway, the times I have been there I've seen stuff I would like to have
bought, but the amount involved wasn't worth paying for a membership or
the 10% markup they charge for non members.  So, will this water pump
finally be my excuse to join?

Also I'd be interested in hearing about other good non dealer places to
buy older small-block Ford stuff.  I've mostly been going to nearby auto
parts stores and ordering if they didn't have what I needed in stock.

Roland