RE: Tires

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Tires
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 02:53:22 -0700
        I remember when I had my Alpine (65 series IV), with ET Mags, with
BR-60 13's B.F.G. Radial T/A's all the way around.  They stuck out about
an inch and a half on the front (Also had to trim the bottom of the
front valence for them to clear.  Would Also recommend that the Inner
fender lip on the inside of the rear fenders, be modified by bending the
sheet metal on the very inside edge of the lip, up and away from the
fender opening.  My rear tires received some fairly nasty slashes on the
side walls when the tire rises up into the fender.  It happened to me on
several occasions when pulling into a steep drive way off of a level
street, at an angle.  The out side edge of the sidewall, would rub
against the inner edge of this lip, and would slice the tire.  The front
fenders did this as well, and were much worst.  I was really P.O.'d when
I saw dangling strips of my brand new tread hanging from the edge of the
tires
        As I remember, I used a sheet metal body tool to impact the inner lip
of the fenders from being a sharp edge, to a nice rounded, and smooth
rolled lip which the tires could rub without damage.
        The moral of this story?  Dont just check to see if the tires fit, have
a couple big Huge Guys come sit on one fender, and check the clearance
while the suspension is compressed.  On the front, be sure to turn the
wheels from lock to lock.....Shaved off tread is far more costly now,
than it was is 1977 when I did it...

Rich