Re: Gearing

To: Jim Parent <76276.1555@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Re: Gearing
From: Ken Hansen <khansen@epix.net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 09:20:23 -0400 (EDT)

On 26 May 1996, Jim Parent wrote:

> I have a question for any of you who have updated/modified your trans and/or
> differentials;
>
> What gear ratios are you using.  I currently have the stock 2.88 axle with the
> stock transmission.  My custom 302 has
> just been delivered and now I am in the process of selecting a power train to
>go
> behind it.  I intend to keep the 4-speed
> top-loader but am thinking of going to wider gears if I keep the 2.88 (which I
> am also leaning towards).  I intend to use a
> centerforce 10.5" clutch/PP/bearing and a custom shift linkage.

JP,
        I had my original close ratio box converted to a wide ratio box.
I am still using the original 2.88 gears.  the wide ratio gearing
necessitated a new main shaft.  I purchased that from a company in
California called "stick Only".  I have been very pleased with the
change.  My launch gearing is much better and seems to do a lot less
clutch slipping.

Ken
B382001051