RE:Question for the Tiger Techies

To: JWSStFm@AOL.COM, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Question for the Tiger Techies
From: RKEMPINS@SSF4.jsc.nasa.gov (Kempinski, Robert M.)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:03:53 -0500
REPLY FROM: Kempinski, Robert M.

JWSStFm@AOL.COM asked

>I was using a floor jack under the rear end to lift the car.  I got it pretty
>high up in the air, and after I let it down, the car wouldn't roll in neutral
>- it was like the brake was on.

Where did you position the jack?

>I started it and "broke it loose" and it now rolls freely, but when I drive
>it, it lets out a squeel on the right side of the car.  I haven't driven it
>and distance because I don't want to do further damage, but I can't imagine
>what I might have broken while raising the car.
>
>Any ideas?

Could you have snagged the emergency brake cable and pulled it taut perhaps
locking the brake shoe against the drum?

Does your car have rust and the jacking caused something to punch through
the body like the shock mount or the leaf spring attachment? If so something
might be binding like a wheel rubbing on the body. It makes a hell of a
noise and acts like a brake.  I know this from personal experience
because when I was shopping for my Tiger, I almost bought a '69 Porsche 911.
The owner was unmarried (i.e.no kids) So it was only him and his boyfriend in
the car. The car really looked great from the top and the engine was primo.
Well, I gave him a deposit and made the deal contingent on a mechanical
inspection. I said I would return with a mechanic in a week or so to check
out the car. When we returned, myself, my brother, the mechanic and the owner
took the car for a test drive. About 200 yards down the street we hit a
pothole and car goes chunk. It then starts bucking and vibrating making all
kind of noise. The owner says "That's not right let me try it."  He gets
behind the wheel and barely gets the car moving 100 yards. Finally he says
"Something happened." Duh! When we get out, we see the right rear wheel arch
resting on the rear wheel. It seems the four of us had exceeded the load
limit for the rusted suspension mount to the body and the shock actually
punched through the shock tower. It made an effective parking brake. The
owner had never had four people in the car before.  He was  was real willing
to negotiate then but it scared me off of the deal. Good thing or I never
would have had an opportunity to repair all the rust on my Tiger!

Back to the problem at hand, one other scenario I can think of is if
you jacked up the rear axle somehow cracking/bending/deforming a bearing or
axle.

Finally, the noise can be unrelated to the jacking. Maybe something just
failed.

Good Luck,

Rob Kempinski
Houston, Texas

Who always tests drives car with at least four people inside!