Update II: Springs & Answer

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update II: Springs & Answer
From: Jay Laifman <JLAIFMAN@PNM.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 17 Jun 96 14:27:34 EDT
I was just looking at the Rootes factory manual for the 1725 cars.  It
says that the rubber damper/insulator was introduced on the Alpine Series
V, at VIN 39000781.  That would explain the added height if it is true
(assuming that the factory put in the added rubber but did not shorten
the springs).  But the Sunbeam Specialties and Victoria British catalog
shows an insulator for earlier cars.  VB also shows three different
springs for Alpines: Series I & II, Series III, and Series IV & V.

Does anyone have an earlier car, Series I - IV that they have taken apart
and know if their car came with the rubber on top of the spring?  Any
information on pros and cons of the lower front end verses life without
the rubber?  Is the vibration really there on the earlier cars?  Is the
handling really worse with the car up higher?  Personally, I think the
car looks better with a less dramatic slope up towards the rear.

Jay

Jay S. Laifman
Pircher, Nichols & Meeks
1999 Avenue of the Stars