Update: Coil Springs

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update: Coil Springs
From: Jay Laifman <JLAIFMAN@PNM.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 17 Jun 96 13:53:01 EDT
I previously inquired about the CAT versus the Sunbeam Specialties rubber
front coil spring dampers.  I had the CAT ones and thought my car was
sitting too high.  I bought a pair of SS's and swapped them this
weekend.  The difference is negligable.  I have found some old pictures
of my car showing that it always sat a bit on the high side.  I wonder if
at the tail end of the Alpine run (mine is one of the last), Sunbeam
started using Tiger springs on all the cars.  Each of my springs has a
small orange painted line on one end.  Anyone know the color codes of the
springs?

As to the two rubber pieces, when I put the two side by side, these are
the things I noticed: The CAT one is a little bigger and fills up the hole
where the damper goes, the SS one is just slightly smaller than the hole.
The CAT one has an inside lip too - I don't know if it really has any
effect.  It is hard to tell if the CAT damper is of firmer rubber or not.
It feels harder, but there is more rubber there.  The top of the CAT
rubber is flat, the top of the SS rubber is rounded.

This is what Rick says about his: it is made by the very same manufacturer
that made to original damper (i.e., OEM) using the same formula for the
rubber, and that the damper is very common to many cars of the same and
later era.  He understands that the CAT rubber is firmer because when it
was designed, the example was an older damper that had already hardened
with time.

That's all I know.

Jay

Jay S. Laifman