Re: Brake Line Help

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Line Help
From: tigerpb@ids.net (Paul Burr)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 18:24:33 -0400
>I have a 65 MK-1A with a problem.  It has developed a leak at the brake
>line junction block downstream from the servo unit.  The block and line
>are intact and do not leak, but the leak I have is between the line and
>the threaded fitting (that goes into the block).  I have attempted to
>re-seat the fitting multiple times, but still get a shower of fluid
>between the fitting and the line.  Any suggestions?  If the junction
>block is suspect are they available, what are they called, and from
>where?  Do I just need to buy and bend a new 30" bubble end line?  Are
>the threads American (SAE) or metric?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help with this perplexing problem.
>
>Les McClelland - Tulsa, OK
>Lesm@prevuenet.com

Les; in all probability, the line is corroded and needs replacing. The
lines are all double flared, so buy (or rent) the proper automotive tool,
not a plumbing flare tool. Yes, the lines and threads are standard American
size. I know I'm preaching again, but are all the brakelines the original
'65 vintage? If you're driving around with 31 year old lines, you're
humming past the grave yard. These old lines have a nasty habit of cracking
and leaking. I've said it before- I've seen far to many Tigers with $5000
worth of pretty paint and 30 year old brake parts. It's suicide!!!