Heat reduction

Subject: Heat reduction
From: David Horton <70544.1507@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 03 Jul 96 01:19:24 EDT
Considering that a major Tiger concern is the buildup of heat in the engine
compartment,
has anyone had (or heard of) any experiences with using the insulating wraps,
tapes, and sacks made for headers?  I don't have any brand names, but the stuff
is designed to be wrapped around the headers to 1) keep you from grilling
yourself during maintenance, 2) keep the headers from radiating heat into the
engine compartment, and 3) increase exhaust energy (increased exhaust gas speed
- a big concern for those with turbos).  By insulating the headers, the heat is
kept in the exhaust system longer, thus increasing the overall 'energy' (and
speed) of the exhaust gas flow.

It seems to me that wrapping the headers would, while being ugly as sin, go
quite a ways towards reducing underhood temperatures.  A minor  positive side
benefit *could* be better exhaust extraction due to increased gas speeds.  On
the down side (besides the looks), the heat which is now prevented from being
radiated by the headers has to go somewhere; I imagine that you might have to
wrap the entire exhaust system to prevent a VERY hot spot from forming under the
floor, near you ... the gas line ...  the brake lines ... and whatever flammable
stuff you drive over ... ... ...

Thoughts/comments?

David