New German car tax!

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: New German car tax!
From: "G.S.Sutherland" <G.S.Sutherland@phil.hull.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 14:10:58 +0100 (BST)
        I've just seen an article in this month's "Classic Cars"
describing a new tax on cars in Germany: Any car that is not fitted with a
cataylst will be liable for charges based upon engine size. I can't
remember the exact figures, but I estimate the charge imposed on a Tiger
will be about 600 GBP/$1000 US. The move was described by the magazine as
being political, since reducing the numbers of older cars on the road will
force up sales of new cars, and thus reduce unemployment, etc.

        There is no exemption for classics (ie cars over 25 years old)
except if they get a special number plate, and are used only for
travelling to shows or other events. I can see it now:

        "Yes officer, I am going to the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Yes,
I do know that it's in six months time, but you can't trust these old
Lucas electrics can you?"

        The really bad news about this is that Germany wants the entire
EU to impose this tax...

                Graeme