RE: air cleaners

To: RKEMPINS@SSF4.jsc.nasa.gov (Kempinski, Robert M.), oldhaven@biddeford.com,
Subject: RE: air cleaners
From: Dave McDermott <mcdermott_d@WIZARD.COLORADO.EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:15:33 -0600
        Rob,
        I have to jump in here and give my two cents. I totally agree that
any repro part  should be be made to look as much like the original as
possible and to function at least as well as the original. Fortunately
people like Rick at Sunbeam Specialties and Tiger Tom have done that over
the years. Some parts like horn rings have been made to function better than
the originals but externally they look like the originals ( except for the
back side ). Many of the most expensive concours collector cars in the world
have some repro parts on them which does not detract from their overall
value. I believe that the air cleaners should be made as close as possible
to the originals. We discussed this project at the tech session I led at
SUNI II and it was felt that this project should not be that difficult for
someone with the right equipment and capital to fund the stamping tooling.
Obviously we would not need tooling of the quality used by the big three to
make thousands of parts. Judging the potential demand is one of the key
questions since it affects the quality of the tooling that needs to be made
as well as the price charged to cover the initial tooling. Phil-Perhaps Rick
or Tom could give some help in judging potential demand. Rick went through a
similar process about ten years ago when the original interior material was
needed and again when the repro LAT 70s were done. My quess is 200 sets. ( I
could use 4 myself ).

        Dave McDermott