Re: Ian Garrad "Father of the Tiger"

To: Harold Hartsell <hartsell@thegrid.net>
Subject: Re: Ian Garrad "Father of the Tiger"
From: Tom Hall <Modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 23:11:57 -0700 (PDT)
At 09:10 PM 6/14/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Does anyone know what Ian Garrad did after the demise of the Tiger under
Chrysler's control? I've read quite a
>bit about him during the development of the Tiger, but very little after.
>
>Thanks,
>Harold

        Yes Harold, as a matter of fact we do know what happened to Ian.
Basically he and the International Automobile staff were at the mercy of
Chrysler at the end of production.  All support for Tiger racing,
development, sales and management in both the US and UK was terminated when
Chrysler UK made the decision to drop several of the Rootes cars with
limited production and profitability in mid 1967.  I have drawings for
potential future Tiger models commissioned by Ian, made 30 years ago this month.

        Ian started a new company called Space-o-Matic, selling automotive
parking and storage devices for high density (stacked) parking such as
apartments and urban parking lots.  He was reasonably successful in this
effort for several years.  When I first met him in 1969, he had tried to
forget the very painful experience with Chrysler, and it took us several
years to talk him into joining us at one of our Tigers United events.  When
he saw and met over 100 wildly enthusiastic Tiger owners in Medford, Oregon,
he was hooked again, and he and his wife Laura attended most of the future
Tigers Uniteds until his health gave out.  Laura continues to attend each
year as our close friend and honored guest.

Tom Hall,  modtiger@engravers.com
STOA (Sunbeam Tiger Owners Association)