Gears 'n' Motors

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Gears 'n' Motors
From: Rick Fedorchak <richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:39:48 -0400
Larry Wright wrote :
>My car is worse than most @ low rpms, due to the lope of the cam (Tiger Tom
_told_ me it was too much cam, >shoulda believed him). If

Steve Laifman Wrote :

>he .63's are designed for the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) not the
driver.  A good performance >overdrive ratio is 0.8. Pick the rear end gear
that goes with your gearbox ratios, engine torque curve, and >objective,
i.e., highway cruising for economy, performance in tight rpm range, lower or
raise rpm at given speed >for your own needs.  My personal choice, with
slightly over stock tires, is the 2.88 with the .8.

WOW.  0.8 overdrive with 2:88's ?   My calculations bring that in at 2.3
final drive ratio.  In my experience that seems to be getting VERY shallow,
even if you had a torque motor with low camshaft lifts and durations.  And
the  0.63 overdrive ratio would be out of the question entirely.  ( Unless
you were running 4:10 or steeper rear gears )

Larry , if TT told you your motor had too much cam, I'm assuming he gave you
that recommendation based on the 2:88's and overdrive trans  you said you
were running . ( and he'd be right )   A steeper gearset would bring you
 into  a range that your motor could make better ( and more efficient )  use
of.  A set of  3:31's or 3:54's might be a good choice.

 Like Steve said, motor, trans, and rear have to be MATCHED to attain
whatever objective you're after.

                                                    Rick Fedorchak