RE: Fitting Windshield Frame

To: <djjld@djemsrv.cnet.att.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fitting Windshield Frame
From: Jay Laifman <JLAIFMAN@PNM.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 29 Jul 96 12:43:50 EDT
Jim,

Two thoughts, as I posted a similar message a while back.  First, there
were these two plastic wedge pieces on mine which had two holes that fit
on the back two hold-down bolts on the windshield.  These wedges pushed
the windshield forward.  I had misplaced them between the time I stripped
the car and put it back together.  Miraculously, I found them late one
night after waking up at 2:00 am suddenly remembering their existence!
They still were not quite enough.  I think there was also some sealer in
there that I pulled out which might have given them the last little push I
needed.  Instead, I used some plastic I cut up and inserted.

Second, someone told me of this great idea.  I thought I saved the
e-mail.  But, I can't find it, or remember who sent it.  I take no credit
for the idea.  Basically, it went like this, he took a nut which fits on
the threads and welded a large washer on it.  Before mounting the
windshield, he threaded the nut/washer all the way up on the back bolt,
with the washer up against the bottom of the frame.  Then put the frame on
the car, with the nut fitting into the whole for the back bolt - the hole
is large enough for it to fit through (assuming your nut is small
enough).  Now, you can take a deep reach socket up through the hole and
loosen the nut/washer, which will raise the back of the windshield to
adjust it perfectly.  Once it is where you want it, you can run the
standard nut and washer up the back bolt to fix the windshield into place.

I might have missed something.  But, the basic concept is there.

Jay Laifman