Fulcrum pin failure.

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Fulcrum pin failure.
From: tigerpb@ids.net (Paul Burr)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 21:14:33 -0400
Here's an update on the lower fulcrum pin disaster. I dug out the invoice
for the pin. It was purchased 01/07/86 from Sunbeam Specialties. I rebulit
the front end first during the resto, so it waited on the shelf for 7 years
to get back together with the Tiger. And, the "shelf" was on a bench in my
garage. It wasn't left outside, so corosion isn't a factor here.
As I had stated yesterday, the car has had only street use in the summer.
I'm running CAT springs and Koni shocks. The wheels are Shelby minilites
with BFG 185/70 13 Touring TA's. Nothing radical here.
I just got off the phone with Rick at Sunbeam Specialties. He indicated
that they haven't sold this part for several years. He said that he hasn't
had any complaints about these fulcrum pins, but claims that this type of
failure is also typical of stock fulcrum pins. I'd like to hear about any
simmilar failures that any of you have experienced.
My biggest concern is for anyone else who bought this part from S.S. during
this time frame. If you did, get the car off the road and get it checked. I
walked away with a bent car. Is someone else going to be this lucky?
Although Rick claimed these failures happen at low speed and maximum wheel
lock, how can we be sure? How about it snapping on the track or during some
spirited driving on a twisting country road?
So, what do we do next? Is anyone making a lower fulcrum pin that won't
self destruct?
I really upset by this, and need some definative answers.