Re: Deadly Defects and Ballbusting

To: johnss@ids.net
Subject: Re: Deadly Defects and Ballbusting
From: CMeinel464@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 11:18:22 -0400
Al,

Thanks for you information on the Qinton Hazel ball joints.  You're correct
when you say that these are the only lower ball joints left on the market.
 Since the original Rootes part number on these ball joints was the same on
Alpine & Tiger and the old Q&H catalog shows the part number for the cars are
the same, I can only think that after some probelms with the ball joints that
Q&H say these were Alpine only parts.

To the best of my knowledge, I've owned my cars since new, the original lower
ball joint was a Lockeed part. I remember when they were available and both
the upper and lower joints had grease fittings.  You might be correct that
Girling had also made them, I will research this and report my findings. You
must also understand that many parts were made by one company, repackaged and
sold under different brand names, since I do not recall any ball joints with
Girling numbers on them, I doubt they were the original maker.

As I stated in a recent posting, I am not looking forward to the day that
Rick, Tom and I have to reproduce parts that might cause damage if they fail.

Best regards,
Curt
Classic Sunbeam