Re: Intake Alignment

To: tigers@autox.team.net, Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Intake Alignment
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 96 14:14:34 PST
     Roland;

     -20 + years ago in my automotive-machinist-days we used machinists'
     "DYKEM". It came both in a quicker-drying brush-on version and a
     "cream-type" in a tube that dried much more slowly. The tube stuff is
     what we always used for exactly what you want to do. My friend I
     worked with had 4-5 different sets of heads matched to specific
     manifolds that he was always changing on his bracket racer.

     -Alignment works best on the engine, but if heads & manifold are off
     the car you can probably do one side at a time & get real accurate
     measurements.

     -You'll need:

     -intake gaskets, used are ok, that are white or light-colored,
     preferably without writing so you can see the DYKEM better.

     -a set of intake manifold bolts & another set but only about 1" long
     with washers & nuts.

     -Do: depending on what's easiest for you..coat the intake manifold
     -to-head sealing surface (1 side) with a good layer of the slow-dry
     DYKEM. IT stains, use gloves; I think Acetone is a good remover.
     CAREFULLY lay the intake gasket on the manifold and screw down with
     the set of shorter bolts. Let dry. Do the same for the other side.
     Let dry and remove. Do the same with the heads, remembering your
     top/bottom & front/rear references.

     -When you're done, you'll have a gasket that on BOTH sides shows you
     where you do & do not have metal. I always made 2 sets, 1 as a
     "master", the other as my pattern. If my heads were already ported,
     then I carefully cut out the outline of the heads in the gasket
     itself. Then, when matched to the intake manifold-DYKEM side, I
     scribed the outline into the DYKEM to show where I needed to remove
     material on the manifold.Or, vice versa.

     -Another watch it: I've seen where folks have done the EXACT steps
     above, then put in ANOTHER stock set of gaskets when they put the
     heads back on the car. All this work exactly matching heads to
     manifold, then the gasket covers up about 1/2 of what they did!!
     Make sure you match the gaskets to what you do..careful around the
     water passages.

     -Does this make sense? If not, call me. (408) 955-7046 wk or (510)
     794-7506 hm.

                               Phil