RE:Transporting a car across the country

To: a-richat@MICROSOFT.com, alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Transporting a car across the country
From: RKEMPINS@SSF4.jsc.nasa.gov (Kempinski, Robert M.)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 08:46:12 -0500
REPLY FROM: Kempinski, Robert M.
> Anyone know of any reasonably priced Car Carriers that could transport
>an Alpine across the country?  From Maryland to Seattle?

I had to ship my car from Virginia to Texas. Luckily, my company paid for the
move. At first they set up an open car carrier. It would have cost about
$600. However, I asked for a closed carrier as my Tiger was not running
and did not  yet have it's convertible top installed. So they made a deal
with Passport. A local guy picked it up on a flatbed, took it to a central
distribution point where a hugemongous tractor trailer sucked it in (Along
with a dragster, concours Corvette, and snazzy Mercedes - the Tiger had good
company.)  The cost was about $1,100.

Passport is a national company that specializes in moving collector cars.
They have about 20 or so privately owned trailers that they contract to. I
highly recommend them.  The trailer that moved the car was practically in
show condition. I had a blast checking it out while they unloaded my car. It
had all kinds of hydraulic levers and ramps inside so they could easily fit
several collector cars without damaging them. The truck driver seemed to
really care about old cars and delivering them safely. And since my car was
not running at the time,  he had a tough job getting it in and out. But he
did it.

I asked him what was the most exotic car he had ever transported and he
replied "It vas Himmler's staff car - a  Mercedes from ze var. Sold for
several million."

It was not cheap, but they did a good job. Probably much better than
strapping on to the bottom of a 747. That would cause too much bug splatter.
But then again, moving to Seattle, maybe Boeing can give you a good deal.

Rob Kempinski
Houston Texas

P.S. My new neighbors didn't know what to think when a Mercedes, Corvette and
dragster pulled out of the truck and parked on the street while they unloaded
the Tiger! I thought it was pretty cool.