Stock cooling system

To: av342@lafn.org
Subject: Stock cooling system
From: gary_winblad@juno.com (Gary A Winblad)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 22:18:59 PST
Well Steve, I run a totally stock system, including the 4 blade fan and
shroud.
I just measured it out:
>From top of expansion tank down to top radiator tube is 1.25 inches,
Tank is 4.5 inches tall, radiator tube spacing is 0.5 inches.
By my calculations that means more than the top two tubes are
empty after the normal boil out to half depth (I agree with your
estimate).   (4.5/2) - 1.25 = 0.75    Thats 2.5 tubes and about
a third of the top radiator hose too.  OK, I know thats really only
two tubes but after you don't check it for awhile in the summer
time, that will be three tubes...  Oh, you need to multiply by the
number of tubes across (3 or 4 typically), in other words, you
are wasting alot of your expensive radiator capacity.

Maybe your radiator is sagging.. or your fenders are bent down!
;-)

The recovery tank (in the driver's side wheel well behind the
headlight keeps the radiator full and like you say "prevents your
car from wetting the ground".  Remember, antifreeze is poisonous
to small animals!  And, I could be wrong, but I don't think they will
let you near a race track without a recovery system.

Gary
B9470622
In hot traffic in smoggy San Jose