Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

To: NamasteRH@worldnet.att.net (Rick Hoefle)
Subject: Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
From: tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 10:18:55 CDT
Rick Hoefle writes:
> This may seem a little silly, but I have received mail from a variety of
> mailing lists @team.net and the time/date stamp is in the FUTURE.  Is
> this due to the location of the originator (e.g., GB) or could majordomo
> have a clock problem (or is majordomo in GB?)?  TJ, I cc'd you because
> you seem to know about these things.  I am in CT and the time timestamps
> seem to be 3 hours in my future (per the time I downloaded the mail from
> my worldnet mailbox.

It's definitely due to time zone differences.  The date on the
individual mail messages is the date the originator sent it;
majordomo doesn't modify it.  I wish the mail programs were smart
enough to (optionally of course) display the mail in either local
time, sender time, or GMT, whichever you pick.  But most don't do
this.  My mail program (elm) displays whatever time the originator's
program writes into the outgoing mail.  Sometimes this is the
originator's local time, other times it is GMT.  Really plays havoc
with the "sort-by-date-sent" elm option I use.

I've seen mail from Australia which shows up in my mailbox dated
tomorrow!  (Because that's when it was sent.  Sydney is 15 hours ahead
of USA Eastern Time, so late afternoon USA is early tomorrow morning
in Oz.)

Not much can be done about this that I know of (unless you want to
write a super-duper mail client!), it's just one of those quirks of
the internet that everyone has to get used to.
--
T.J. Higgins
tjhiggin@ingr.com