Re: Kemp on cars

To: rootes@ix.netcom.com, Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Kemp on cars
From: DSand95510@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 15:09:16 -0400
In a message dated 96-10-10 18:36:06 EDT, rootes@ix.netcom.com (Steve Sage)
writes:

>Unfortunately, we now have politics creeping onto the Tiger web but I need
>reply to
>the person (who didn't name him or herself) who to me misinterpreted Kemp's
>comments.
>
>If you know politics at all, you'll know much of Jack Kemp's career has been
>spent
>trying to lessen govt. interference. His comments from the debate were
>COMPLAINING about
>the money the current administration WILL be charging drivers if re-elected
>to support
>their current schemes. When Kemp mentioned these fees, and how they would
>have a
>NEGATIVE effect on marginal income drivers, he was being derisive of them,
>not
>advocating them.
>
>Did Kemp say ANYTHING different about classic car drivers? No, so don't jump
>conclusions unless you're trying to scare people into thinking Dole/Kemp
have
>given ANY
>thought to classic cars at this point, when in fact they have made ZERO
>comments on the
>subject. Remember, they are clearly in favor of less govt. interference in
>our lives,
>not more.
>
>Sorry, Rootsters, for the political interference, but I felt the need to
>correct what
>might have been the misinformed comments of the un-named poster.
>
>Steve Sage

The "un-named poster" should get a medal for vigilance.  While Kemp may have
been advocating what he considers LESS government intrusion in private lives,
his statement was definately in favor of going after the so-called "10%" with
a new system of roadside photo/infrared scanners, rather than the current
expensive program of testing everyone at stations.   The problem is, in most
current environmental legislation, from either side of the aisle, that
nebulous "10%" ends up being interpreted to first mean 'old cars' (meaning
us).   Looking at the actions of the EPA, and various state legislatures such
as in NJ and CA over the last few years, old car enthusiasts have a right to
be wary of new initiatives in this area, even if they at first purport to
only make the system more "fair" or "efficient."

The EPA's own studies have shown that the bulk of pollution is generated by
out-of-tune cars less than 10 years old.  But to the politicians, old-car
enthusiasts are not numerous or active enough to put up a fight.  They'll
lose a lot more votes trying to crush two dozen out-of-tune, daily-driver '89
Maximas than a single, well-maintained '65 Malibu that rarely leaves the
garage.

Also, it seems that government, regardless of who's in charge, is more
anxious to take pictures of our license plates for various reasons, and the
list of reasons is getting longer every day.  For modesty's sake, I think
I'll tuck mine a little further up under the Sunbeam's bumpers.

Dick Sanders

"He LOVED Big Brother!"