Of Kemp and Villains

To: Tigers Digest <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Of Kemp and Villains
From: "Ed E. Powell" <102430.3640@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 11 Oct 96 23:55:05 EDT
Unpopular commentary follows:

>>My gut reaction was to defend the automobile, which always seems to be the
villain (as opposed to heavy industries, lawn mowers, etc)

In fact, automobiles -- collectively -- are the  _main_  source of pollution in
Los Angeles and surrounding counties.  In part because they do dump crud in the
air, and in part because there are so MANY of the things.  San Diego county has
an air quality problem also, and there is relatively little industrial activity
contributing to the problem.  I can speak confidently only of these two areas,
having lived in both and been associated with air quality statistics and
enforcement.

Like you, I don't want to give up the Sunbeam, and I will kick and scream when
some schmuck tries to take it away from me.  I will also, like you, make an
effort to keep it running cleanly.  And, I agree that legislators (who generally
seek to regulate only that which they do not understand) have missed an
opportunity to improve air quality without alienating constituents.  The law
_should_   have been written to require all vehicles to meet emission criteria
consistent with practicable modifications of the year of vehicle manufacture.

One way or another, something has to be done about the crud escaping the
millions of automobiles on the road.  Individually, none of us is creating a
problem.  Collectively, we are destroying cities, flora, fuana and ourselves.
Industry, as focused and visible points of pollution, gets far more flack than
warranted by the statistics of air chemistry.  We  _see_  the crud coming out of
industrial sites; we don't generally see the crud coming out of each automobile.

Having said that, I still wish I could get real lead into my Tiger's fuel.  Runs
so much smoother and cooler, doncha know...

Let the flames begin!

Eddy - CA