Fram Info

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Fram Info
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 96 06:31:03 -0700
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     I was coaching my 2nd/3rd grade soccer team on Saturday morning (if
     you have heard that saying about managing engineers being like herding
     cats, then you should try this), when I saw one of the parents, my
     friend Lou, standing on the sidelines, wearing his old FRAM shirt.
     That's right!  He's a mechanical engineer who used to work for them.
     So, in between trying to get the kids to remember their positions and
     stop watching that airplane, I asked what he knew about  the PH8A and
     3512.  "Yeah,", he replied.  " I remember when we were designing that
     short one....'

     Anyway, here's the scoop.  The PH8A has a pressure relief function
     that opens if the pressure drop across the filter goes over 8 to 10
     PSI.  The burst pressure for the case is around 200 PSI  The 3512 is
     intended for higher pressure application, with a 30 to 40 PSI pressure
     relief, and a case burst pressure of 400-500 PSI.   This means that if
     our oil pumps are delivering 50 PSI to a clogged 3512, there might be
     as little as 10 PSI feeding the engine before the relief opens.  (Do
     our pressure gauges measure before or after the filter?)  He wasn't
     really concerned about typical flow rates through the 3512, and
     figured that the pressure drop across them would not get very  high
     unless the engines were REALLY cruddy, which, of course, would never
     be OUR problem, right?

     And, many GM filters DON'T have bypasses, since that function is built
     into the block.

     Lou cautioned that  these numbers may not be exact, being what he
     could quickly remember from a few years back.

     Stu Brennan