More Oil Filters

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: More Oil Filters
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 96 09:39:02 -0700
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     First, a correction.  Last week, when I talked to my friend who used
     to work for Fram, he thought the bypass pressure for a PH3512 was in
     the 30-40 pound range, but he thought the number was for a VW filter,
     rather than Renault.  Memory plays tricks sometimes.

     I just talked to the Fram tech rep, and the bypass pressure  for a
     3512 is 9 to 12 pounds, not much different from the 8 to 10 of the
     PH8A.  So, there's no problem there.

     I described the "on the block" clearance problem to him, and he
     suggested PH43 (4 inches high) and PH16 (3.5 inches high) as
     alternatives.  These have the same specs as PH8A.  I think I've heard
     these numbers mentioned in Tiger lore before, but I don't know how
     available either is.

     I was looking at the PH3600 (Motorcraft FL400A, AC PF56, Lee LF-400,
     etc.) that fits my wife's Sable (and lots of newer Fords), when that
     little light bulb went on over my head.  Guess what, guys.  Despite
     it's smaller diameter, the gasket diameter and thread are exactly the
     same as PH8A.  I screwed it right on to a PH8A sized remote adapter I
     have.  The Fram rep says the bypass on this one is also in the 9 to 12
     pound range.  The height is just a fraction shorter than a PH8A, so it
     can't go directly on the block.  The smaller diameter, however, might
     help with Econoline/SVO adapter, or other remote adapters,
     positioning.

     Their rep is sending a catalog with specs, so I'll pass along any
     other interesting info I can find.

     Stu