Vinyl followup

To: Mark_W_Olson@ccm.sc.intel.com
Subject: Vinyl followup
From: Rick Fedorchak <richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:44:00 -0500
Mark,

        After receiving Rolands input yesterday, I went home to check the
label on the X-14 cleaner bottle.

X-14 Mildew Stain Remover contains Sodium Hypochlorite, as does my gallon
jug of Clorox bleach. So this supports Roland's observations.  Further
investigation of the X-14 label also revealed that the manufacturer includes
vinyl automobile and boat tops as items appropriate to be  cleaned with
their product.

I checked with one of our chemists.  She claims that Hydorchloric acid
consists of Hydrogen and Chlorine, and that  _Hydorchlorite_  consists of
Hydrogen, Chlorine, and Oxygen.   ( and is less corrosive than Hydorchloric
acid )
She also mentioned that a conservative approach to the use of this product
would involve  ( big surprise )  dilution with a small amount of  water. She
claims  it would be just as effective, though it would take a bit longer to
work.

For the record, X-14 also contains Sodium Carbonate.

Castrol Super Clean contains 2-Butoxyehtanol, Sodium Metasilicate, and
Sodium Hydroxide.

Wesley's ( Blue Coral ) Bleche Wite contains Sodium Metasilicate and Sodium
Orthosilicate.

While I realize there are no Alpines/Tigers running around with white Vinyl
Hardtops ( at least I think there aren't ),
I hope this information proves useful for other Sunbeam vinyl applications,
and/or  other vehicles our Sunbeam group may own.

                                                                        Rick
Fedorchak