Rear End Gears

To: "'tigers'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear End Gears
From: Bennett Cullen <p21988@gegpo8.geg.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 96 08:46:00 MST
Hi group,

I am contemplating rebuilding the rear end on the Tiger (mine as opposed to
the car isn't worth saving). I want to make the road trip over to Eureka CA
next year and there is a bit too much backlash whine to make me feel
comfortable. I have the stock 2.88 Salsbury and would like to go with a posi
unit of some sort. I have seen written that the highest gears to consider in
the housing are 3.08's with something to do about the bolts getting close to
the edge. Will someone tell me exactly what this about. Also, what type posi
unit will fit easily, what size 8.5" or 7.5"?, how many splines?
 approximate cost?, new or used? and any other information that could be
useful in making an intelligent decision and purchase. Any comments would be
appreciated.
regards,
Cullen in Tempe