New list?

To: tigers
Subject: New list?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 12:30:06 -0700 (MST)
I'm thinking of adding another list to the dozen or so British car
related and other lists on Team.Net.  This one would be a bit different
than the others, the way I currently see it.  It would be strictly for
advertising, mostly commercial but perhaps some individual ads from folks
trying to sell off lots of stuff.

There are lots of folks out there who have things to sell, and some of them
are already on one or more of the current lists, but commercial advertising
is strongly discouraged on the lists.  Still, some folks have to pipe up
with ads for their products in spite of the sentiments of other list members.

So, what I'm thinking of doing is setting up another list, which for the most
part will be read-only.  It will be moderated, in that all posts will be read
by the moderator [me, for now] and approved before getting sent out.  The
intent is that businesses wanting email contact with the members of the various
lists will send mail to the list, and I'll forward it on if appropriate.
In this context, appropriate will mean having to do with automobiles, and
not being too lengthy.

My motivation for this is based on wanting to do some of my own advertising
for The Fat Chance Garage stuff.  Rather than inflicting upon the hapless
list members a constant stream of ads for stuff I want to sell, I'll provide
a place where they can choose whether or not they want to receive such stuff.
If you aren't already buried under a flow of email, and want to keep up
with commercial offerings, sign up for the list.  For example, The Fat Chance
Garage might post a message saying that between now and the end of 1996,
Redline MTL and MT-90 gear oil will be specially priced at $28 a gallon.
Or some other supplier might have stumbled upon a crate of NOS frobulators
for '36 through '39 Humboldt Blue Streaks.

And of course, given the existence of such a list, the members of the regular
lists can feel more free to chastise those who send commercial posts to the
regular lists.

So, if you have a strong opinion one way or another about this, or see some
other possibility in the concept, let me know.

mjb.