Gear ratio spread sheet

To: "Owners Tiger" <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gear ratio spread sheet
From: "Ed Schafer" <intrepid@gol.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 21:51:54 +0900
Hello all,

I have recently had to decide what gearing to choose for my gear box (close
or wide) and differential (2.88, 3.07, 3.31, 3.54 or 3.73) for my Tiger.
In order to better visualize the speed (mph) in each gear at a particular
rpm, I put together a spread sheet.

The spread sheet was developed using Microsoft Excel 7.0a for
Win95.  There are two sheets (tabs at bottom of spread sheet), one for
close ratio and one for wide ratio gear boxes.  You need to enter the
circumference of your rear tire at the top of either sheet for the data to
be valid for your car.  I included a calculator at the bottom of each sheet
to determine your circumference based on your tire size (e.g. 205/60R13).

The gear ratios used for the close and wide ratio gear boxes are as
follows:

Gear      Close       Wide
    4         1.00:1      1.00:1
    3         1.29:1      1.36:1
    2         1.69:1      1.93:1
    1         2.32:1      2.78:1

Usual disclaimer:  I believe all the formulas are correct but you may want
to check a random example by hand to convince yourself its correct.  Please
let me know if you find any errors.

If anyone would like this spreadsheet, just let me know and I'll E-mail it
to you as a 37k attachment file.

Regards,

Ed Schafer
What did Boeing have for lunch last Sunday?....A Big MAC DAC
If it ain't Boeing....I still ain't goin...