RE: Fuel

To: "'alpines@autox.team.net'" <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Fuel
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 19:01:49 -0800
        There is another way to get the hi-end fuels....It's called aviation
gas.  In the past, when I was building drag bike engines, we used to go
out to our local air field where all of the private planes are, and
would take along a 55 gallon drum.  All we needed was the registration
of a plane, preferably a float plane, and would simply buy the gas for
the plane!  At that time it came in three grades 100, 110, 120 octane
ratings.  After many runs of testing, we found for the drag bikes, that
120 with 5% Alcohol (to cool it down a bit) worked the best.  It was
very similar to the "Denco" gas that was available at that time to
racers, but at less than half the price.

        I have considered doing this again, for my dad's 64 Jag XKE, the 280hp
twin cam big six does NOT like cheap gas, and was never designed for
this crap...

Rich

(Legal NOTE):  AV-Gas does not have Federal highway taxes added to it,
so it is not legal for highway use, and there are strict local
restriction on the handling and storage of fuels.