Re: Help Please

To: ai373@lafn.org
Subject: Re: Help Please
From: gary_winblad@juno.com (Gary A Winblad)
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 14:08:23 PST
On Fri, 10 Jan 1997 19:48:59 -0800 ai373@lafn.org (Andy Mars) writes:

>SEATBELTS - the backseat, if you can even call it that, had a strange
>seatbelting arrangment - if and what did the original MK1's have?  I
>don't want to harm value by modifying inappropriately.

Like Rick said, NOT original, unless what you are seeing are shoulder
belts for the front seats.  There is a built-in mounting on the wheel
arch for them.

>RADIOS - the MK1 at which I am looking has what seems to be stock
>antenna, but does not seem to have ever had a radio hooked up - I
>would,
>though, want to put in a decent one with speakers - but, don't want to
>
>cut anywhere - any suggestions - so as to not, again, harm value?

Well it PROBABLY did have a radio at one point!  Typically you mount
them under the dash, there are numeous places to "bolt-in" some
mounts that would leave no evidence if it was later removed.  This
is the same situation for my new car.  I prefer to put the speakers
in the kick panels.  You only need to cut a hole in the upolstery and
the cardboard underneath, there is already a hole in the metal
behind it.  Unless you have rust holes, it is dry in there too, unlike
most door internals.  And, the sound doesn't get blocked by
anyone's leg.

>Comments still welcome on suggested going purchase price for '65 MK1
>with
>allegedly 60k miles - very clean - seeming quite original - crack in
>steering wheel  - crack in dash - new cloth convertible top -
>relatively
>fresh, professional paint job - with a few chips, though.

Its really hard to guess without seeing the car but my guess
would be $10-15K.  If its been repainted, its not original, 60k on
the speedometer is probably wrong.  The new paint could
be there to cover any kind of crash or rust damage, or on the
other hand it could be really cared for original car...??

>Regarding the top - the metal convertible top cover doesn't seem to
>line-up all that neatly - the owner says that's normal - is it???

Yeah, I agree with him.  I have 2 MK1's and they are both like that.
They also tend to rattle and scratch themselves!  Thats probably
why they changed the later MK1a's with the soft cover set-up...

 Good luck Andy, spring is coming, hope you find a good car
by then.

Gary Winblad