Goin' Mobile

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Goin' Mobile
From: Rick Hoefle <NamasteRH@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 22:29:19 -0500
Some of you may recall that I was recently asking for carb
recommendations for my Tiger.  Here is how it all turned out.

The overwhelming response from the group was to get a Holley 1850 to
replace my previous carb (a Holley 2805).  Both flow 600 CFM and that is
what I have done.  For those who care, the 2805 was used in the dual
carb setup for the Ford 427...mine was the rear 4 Bbl from the setup,
which explains its lack of a choke plate.

The 1850 I got has a manual choke, for which I ran a cable thru the
heater core area.  There were a couple of hitches...the mounting studs
were not threaded sufficiently for mounting without an additional plate
(the 2805 had a plate for the PCV input, under the carb) so I had to
run a die over the studs (it's a great way to clean threads too).  Also
the stock vacuum advance line has a threaded fitting and the carb has a
nipple, so I used a small vacuum hose to connect the two.  Anyone know
if the nipple is removable?

ANYWAY...the long and the short is that, after owning the Tiger for
nearly seven years, IT'S ON THE ROAD.   HOORAY FOR ME!!!

True, it does seem to have some suspension/alignment problems, BUT I
DON'T CARE!!!  I LOVE DRIVING THIS CAR.

Sorry, I lost control.

Well, I really DO care.  Can someone tell me what a loud rattle from the
right rear under hard acceleration might be?  I have heard the term
"spring windup" before but have never experienced it.  Could that be the
problem?  Also, is the steering on a properly-adjusted Tiger really
responsive? Mine is, so I wonder if mis-alignment is responsible for
its apparent oversteer.

Speaking of alignment, can any east coasters recommend a reliable
suspension outfit, or is alignment of a Tiger a potential
do-it-yourselfer project?

Sorry if am rambling, but it sure is nice to have this car on the road.
--

Rick Hoefle 1964 Tiger B9470508 - HIS
            1969 MGC            - HERS