Re: Water in the oil; 302

To: JIMMY <j.pritchett@worldnet.att.net>, Tiger List <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Water in the oil; 302
From: Jim Parent <76276.1555@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 23:10:26 -0500
Message text written by JIMMY

>jim- you really should have gone with chrome plated valve guides.
i have learned by failure that bronze guides wear faster due to carbon
buildup. sorry you went through the expence.<

I suspect that whomsoever put your bronze guides in did not use the
phospher-bronze, porous type.  Perhaps they used a thin wall?  If so, heat
distortion could have opened up the clearances and allowed the deposition
of the combustion byproducts that build up as carbon.

 The Ph-Bronze inserts porous are self-lubricating.  I looked into the
chrome and they did not meet my second design criteria (the first being
1hp/cu. in.): a 100,000 mile engine.

I agree, if I was going to pull the engine down every season and put in new
valves ( the hard chrome guides don't wear, the valve stems do) I would
have gone chrome.  Since I won't be changing valves I wanted good
lubrication.

What stem to guide clearance did you run to get some oil in there?  My
bronze guides are just 0.0008" (yes, 8 tenths) larger than my valve stems.
They stay lubricated, cools and do not allow oil into the cylinders.  I
suspect that the clearances required to lubricate the chrome guides result
in a bit higher oil usage than I'd like.   I couldn't see using
hypereutectic pistons to reduce blowby and letting oil past the valves.

The final reason that I went with ph-bronze guides is that, like the
magnesium-bronze guides, chrome plated types can seize up in a low
compression engine.  I am running mid-9's compression and that may be
borderline between high and low but my exhaust temps are relatively high.
High temp exhaust is not compatiable with mag-bronze or chrome due to
luberication issues.

Believe me, I weighed every expenditure against my design criteria very
carefully.

Regards,

Jim