Using water to clean running engine

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net, alpines@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Using water to clean running engine
From: Matt Trostel <mtrostel@metronet.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 21:24:10 -0600
It has been touched on, but be very careful about pouring water into a
running engine.  Water in its liquid form is nearly incompressible.  Granted
the engine is very hot and will probably vaporize the water.  Keep in mind,
though, that you're dealing with a very short time period from when the
water enters the carb to the time combustion occurs.  If the water doesn't
absorb enough heat during that short time to turn into steam, you end up
with liquid in the cylinder and will very likely bend valves, break pistons,
bend poiston rods, and possibly destroy the block or heads.

I guess it would be better to use hot/near boiling water for this if you
choose to do it.  You would then increase the likelihood that all of it ends
up as steam.  I also liked the idea of using a spray bottle to spray mist
into the carb instead of pouring water (more surface area means better heat
exchange).

Matt

PS  Don't want to rain on anyones parade but I have heard of newer cars with
cold-air induction kits which, while driving in the rain, ran through a
large puddle, suck water into the intake (past the air filter too I guess),
and ultimately bent valves and piton rods.