RE: Ackerman stuff again

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net, "'Anita & Jim Barrett'" <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Ackerman stuff again
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 04:53:20 -0800
        There's nothing wrong with having the back end come around It's
actually want you want if you want to be able to steer with power.
Granted it REAL hard on the rear tires  8-)  but a pwered two wheel
drift through a tigh corner is many times the fastest / best way to
race.  It's what EVERY Pro Ralley Driver wants the car to do and this
applies to Autocross as well as long as you have the power.  Pitch it
loose and power through the turn.
        If you set the car up so the rear never slips you'll have the
classic front end heavey problems of "plowing" the front end.  Jump on
the Gas the front end gets light and the car goes straighter...right for
that deep ditch.... apply the brakes and the weight shifts to the front
and puts all the stress of the car on the front tires which will roll
and will continue to plow.  The amount of plowing depends on the brake
pressure.
        A properly (My opinion and that of Pro ralley Drivers) is to set
it up so the Front tires rarely ever slip.  If you lose the steering
ou've lost control..

Rich