Valve Cover clearance

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Valve Cover clearance
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:39:33 -0500
At 10:16 pm 2/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Jim,
>
>A 351C!
>
>I am in the midst of putting a well-prepped 302 into my Mark I and am
>trying to decide what to do about valve cover clearance.
>
>The 351 is taller than the 302 block.  Did you have any valve cover
>clearance problems?  Can you get your covers off?
>
>The covers I am using are the cast AL. units with "Powered by Ford -TIGER""
>cast into them.  I had to grind the baffles down to clear the roller
>rockers and it doesn't look like I would be able to pull the covers once
>the engine is in unless I bash/cut/rebuild the firewall in the appropriate
>locations.
>
>Did you have any problems in those areas?  If so what was your solution?
>

>Regards,
>
>Jim Parent
>B9470139

Jim Parent,
        No problem at all with clearance.  I simply moved the firewall back
6 inches and added new front frames on the outside of the existing frames,
 then removed the old frames and adjusted the inner fender wells to match.
While I was at it I got rid of the hydralic clutch.  I now have a machinecal
clutch linkage that pivots on the clutch piviot ball of the 351C.  No more
problems with leaking clutch cylinders.  The only problem is that the
heater core no longer fits and I have to use Pins to hold the hood down.
I drive with the seat all the way back, but It is not a problem for me as I am
only 5'10" tall.
Of course there is a JC Whitney Camaro hood scoop (opening at the rear)
 to clear the extra tall air cleaner.  I use regular 3" tall Mustang Air filters
 (round, but squeezed to oval) to fit the original Tiger  AC airfilter sheet
 metal.  I also relocated the u-joint end of the steering column a little more
 to the drivers side. The shaft is also about 1/2 inch lower at the dash.
( Used carved PVC spacer on top of the steering column at the dash
 mounting bracket.)  The wider frames allowed me to recore the radiator
4" wider.  No problem with overheating even in 95 degrees Florida.
The oil filter is properly located in the drivers side front fender just
under the
head light.  Used existing oil  fittings, but added new hoses to reach.
Use a 14" 5 bladed fan from a Sears add on air-conditioner kit for a Rambler.
As you can see I like to keep my Tiger completely original!  People who
change anything to improve a Tiger should be given 20 lashes with a wet noddle.

        (Just ignore the poor spelling, I am to  tired to correct it.).

        Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C  and others.