Fuel Fumes

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fuel Fumes
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 19:31:31 -0500
At 01:42 pm 3/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I have replaced the 3/4 hose that goes over the top to balance the two tanks
>and I still have a smell.  The only thing left that I can think of is the
>gasket on the float.

Cool,
        Could be the gasket, could also be the rubber hose that goes from the
tank to the gas filler opening.  There is a small rubber hose at right angle
to the
main filler hose.  This is part of the cross over breather assy.  If there is a
 crack where the small hose intersects the larger filler hose, then this could
also be the problem.  I know of no fix or replacement for this.  Also
crawl under the car and replace all the rubber fuel line hoses.  If they are
not leaking, they will sooner or later if they are more than 5 years old.
The fuel fitting at the center of the fuel cross over could also leak.
I assume you have checked out the electric fuel pump and the carb for
leaks.  If all else fails remove the fuel tanks and check for leaks due to
rust or a split seam.  Do not weld on the tanks unless they have been
professesonally steam cleaned. ( Things go BOOM otherwise).

Jim Barrett TigerII 351C and others.