The Inside Story (#2)

To: Tiger list <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: The Inside Story (#2)
From: Larry Wright <Larry.Wright@mail.wdn.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 17:43:15 -0800
Well, it has been a week since my last interior-installation post. If you're
expecting me to
report that it is complete, you will be disappointed.
        The broken weld on the driver's side seat frame was easy enough--
especially as I didn't
have to do anything. My neighbor's son came over last sunday and welded it up
right in my garage.
        I then had a fair pile of metal bits to go to the dip shop. However,
the only place I knew
of in the area now has hours of 9-4, M-F only. My solution was to have Susan
call; folks will do
anything for her. The owner showed up Saturday morning to accept my
bunch-of-bits; one seat frame,
two seat tracks, the console and lid, and two wired strings of small parts will
run $75.00, and I'll
have to talk my father-in-law into picking it all up for me Friday. I _really_
prefer working on
clean, rust-free, freshly painted parts, don't you? Remaining to get dipped is
the other seat frame,
the two defroster vents and the brackets for the roll bar.
        I just came in from the garage, where I've been installing Dynamat.
Kinda neat stuff, but it
isn't as easy to install as the instuctions suggest. First, when they say to
clean the surface
with solvent first, they mean it; it just won't stick otherwise. Also, putting
the mat inside the
the doors, on the inside surface of the outer skin, is strictly in the nfw
zone. The fact that I
coated that surface with house-trailer roof coating a few years back probably
does not help, the
resulting surface is lumpy. I had much better luck on the inner surface of the
doors, and I hope
that's enough. Most of the rest has been easier so far, but I'm concerned about
areas like the kick
panels and where the wheel wells intrude on the (insert laugh) back seat, as it
may affect the final
appearence of those panels. The boot doors sound a lot less tinny now, after
over a dozen small
pieces have been applied.
        A question: has anyone used the spray dyes one applies to vinyl? It
seems the top-of-dash
pad is only available in black, and I want it red if possible. I do not want to
use a spray, though,
if it won't hold up, or look like cr*p.
        Another: not that the Garage Queen had any when I bought it, nor do I
know if any are even
supposed to be there, but how about those clear plastic films one finds behind
the door trim these
days? Worthwhile to install? And how? I would think a bead of adhesive caulk on
the door would
permit a big rectangle of clear roll plastic to be applied, then trimmed to fit.
        There are a fair # of bits, other than the upholstery itself, I'll be
ordering to make the
job complete and, no, I didn't think to order them all in advance. S'OK,
there's plenty to do in the
meantime.

Larry Wright "I can't get no-- Satis-traction"