Limited Slip Labor?

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Limited Slip Labor?
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 18:12:18 -0500
At 09:50 pm 3/17/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm conteplating adding a posi unit and changing the gear ratio in my Tiger
>rear whilst it is out for cleaning.  I got a quote from a local Dana Expert
>of $425 to rebuild the posi unit and do all the set up work.  This seems
>kind of high especially when I figure that after parts I'll be into it for
>another 400 t0 500 bucks.  Does this seem in line?
>
>Frank Marrone          MK I Tiger B9471116  (without original rivits)
>marrone@wco.com        1966 LTD
>                       Series I Alpine  "fix me"
>                       Yamaha Seca 900

Frank,
        According to the 260 Tiger Flat Rate Table in Performance Tuning
the Sunbeam Tiger, the following applies:
                        G. Rear Axle
G-1/1 Complete Unit Remove and Replace  3 hr. 1 minute.
G-1/4 One axle shaft remove and replace    2 hr  30 minutes
G-1/5 One Hub remove and replace including shimming 2 hr and 0 min.
G-1/8 One shaft bearing remove and replace   2 hr  30 min.
G-1/9  Axle shaft seal remove and replace       2 hr 30 min
                        2. Differential Unit
G-2/1:  Complete Unit remove and replace   9 hr. 1 minute
G-2/2:  Complete unit- Overhaul                10 hr. 1 minute
G-2/3 Pinion oil seal remove and replace       1 hr. o min.

It takes a special housing spreader to change the gears correctly
and normally they have to go in and out a few times to get the
shims correct.  Another special tool is used to measure for the
estimated shim setup.
        Most places also charge for solvents, rags etc.
       Assuming G-1/1 and G2/2 is the equivilent to the work you
need, then 13 hr and 2 minutes at say $35 per hr is $ 455.  I think
you are getting a bargin!
        Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others