Gearing down / IMHO choices

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gearing down / IMHO choices
From: Rick Fedorchak <richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 17:27:34 -0500 (EST)
This is the last piece I intend to post on this subject.

I've enjoyed all the viewpoints expressed on the "hot" topic this past
week, even with those whom I personally disagree with.  IMHO, if I were to
choose how things got resolved, I'd  choose the following order:

#1) Everything is published, no secrets.

        I believe in the integrity of the Tiger community as a whole.  This
choice would make information accessible to everyone ,everywhere, equally,
and eliminate any "static"  induced via egos, protectiveness, personality
clashes, turf wars, mistrust/distrust  between clubs /individuals, etc.
As with any type of free information exchange, it's possible the
information might be "used against us" , but I still believe the potential
benefits  outweigh the
 potential pitfalls. Also, this would be completely free of any logistics
nightmares associated with trying to achieve consensus .

#2)  Consensus throughout the Tiger community.

        Agreement upon standards, but those decided upon and administered
by more than just a small group, expert as they may be.  Subject ,
unfortunately, to the potential logistic nightmare of trying to get
everyone to agree.....

#3) Nothing........

        I'm sure some of the veteran folks heavily involved in TAC and
other things are seething at the thought of choice  #1, and figure that I
must be overly  naive, stupid, or out to lay waste to bona-fide efforts on
their part to improve the marque .     Not so.

          But I 've never been too big on "sacred cows".   And in spite of
what I believe their original intentions were, I believe that some of these
folks have become just that.....

        Nobody, and I mean NOBODY,  should be relegated to the status of
"questionable integrity " because they don't belong to a select group,  nor
because their views differ from, or they choose to question,  the "experts".

                                            Rick Fedorchak