Upper Ball Joint

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Upper Ball Joint
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 20:50:43 -0500
At 07:31 pm 3/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Just a quick technical question:  Is it possible to replace the upper ball
>joints without removing the A-arm from the car?  I have one that is dry but
>dont want to get into removing the arm at this time...

C Davis,
        The Tiger upper ball joint is pressed in and also held with a snap
ring.  If you could fabricate a tool to press it out and then press the new one
back in then it could be done; however I believe it is easier to remove
the A arm and do it on the bench than to build the tools. Recommend
 that you keep track of the alignment shims so you can put them back
in the same place.  Some have recommended that the ring that the
ball joint is pressed into should be re-welded for safty.
Also I recommend replacing the A arm bolts.  They are screwed into
self locking nuts that damage the threads of the bolts when the bolts
are used a couple of times.  Don't try to loosen the bolts dry.
    I recommend some foul smelling stuff called PB Blaster
 to loosen any rusty bolt and also use it when pressing out the ball joint.
 I find the stuff at many auto part stores and it is the best I have ever used.
I even was able to remove the lower A arm bolts which were badly
rusted up inside the frame.  Had to swuirt the bolt ends through
the cross member mounting holes and then wiggle the bolts back
and forth for a few hours; but they came out.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others