REPRODUCING TAC

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: REPRODUCING TAC
From: Vonski@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 14:23:51 -0500 (EST)
Hi, as usual I just can't shut up.
While Phil restated some of my points, I think the point is that STOA has
'invented the wheel', when it comes to TAC. As such, I think attempts to
dilute or compete with TAC do STOA a disservice. Moreover, TAC only says the
car follows the Jensen methodology-"came down the Jensen line". It has
nothing to do with WHICH Tiger it is, especially if the rivets have been
removed. Nor is it written ANYWHERE that only TACed cars are true Tigers.
 STOA NEVER asserted that, nor do they want to. I agree that knowledge for
potential buyers is necessary, but it is really similar for many marques. One
can buy some books, read the facts, but if you're laying down long green,
cold hard cash on your dream, you should have it checked by someone who can
tell you if it's really going to be a nightmare. In the future, I will always
have potential purchases checked by experts-Porsche 914-6s (a favorite of
mine) can be faked, and I don't know them well enough to positively check.
I've owned two 914s, but I'll pay to get the car inspected by a local Porsche
expert before I buy. For Tigers, you only turn to your LOCAL CLUB. If you're
fortunate enough to have one like PTC around, there will be someone, or
several people who will let you know what you're looking at. They don't want
you getting burned, because it reflects badly on the marque. They want owners
who are enthusiastic (and who's more enthusiastic than a happy new owner :))
to revitalize their clubs.
     In reality, STOAs secretiveness is about maintaining something that
assists in marketing their club, and serving the marque.  Had Sunbeam owners
formed a national club early on, we possibly wouldn't have these problems.
They didn't so maybe we form one now (as I discussed), which would allow
clubs like STOA to franchise TAC nationally, so everyone could access it, and
it would allow clubs like CAT to sell parts to members nationwide. This could
possibly resolve these problems. I STILL think TAC is a good idea, based on
sound principals so rather than design a NEW standard, we should just adopt
theirs nationally. Duplication of efforts won't really gain us anything in
the long run, because TAC was based on facts about the build process, which
any other "Authentication" would have to use. To duplicate this independently
will just reproduce TAC with another name, which will just alienate STOA. I
don't think any of us want to perpetuate an "us vs. them" mentality, I think
we all just want to enjoy the cars.

Best Wishes

Von Levandowski
B9472230/TAC #160