Speedos and mystery noise

To: Tigers Digest <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Speedos and mystery noise
From: "Ed E. Powell" <102430.3640@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 29 Mar 97 12:24:40 EST
The broken speedo story sounded very familiar.  Mine did that while crossing
Mojave one night.  HUGE racket!  I knew it was going to blow, and it did.  Still
haven't any idea how fast I'm going (yeah, yeah, I know -- or how big the engine
is).  But here's something else.

The speedo wasn't the only problem during that trip.  Sometime after dark,
another truly horrendous and expensive-sounding noise began emanating from under
the hood.  The noise was intermittent and I began to notice a pattern.  It
sounded like something binding.  It was loud enough to hear with the top down at
freeway speeds.  The noise was intermittent and I began to notice a pattern: I
could eliminate the noise by accelerating.  The noise most often produced while
going downhill, but depressing the throttle usually abated the sound
temporarily.  The car continued to otherwise perform fine.  And so it was that
we continued State Line, Nevada, where we spent the night.

I did not play poker.  I had visions of expensive repair work ahead, and began
looking in the yellow pages of Las Vegas for help.  Lots of it available there!
I made no calls that night, and went to bed sadly resolved that I really must
cease to rely on the Tiger for longer trips.

The next morning dawned sunny despite the personal clouds over my head.  We
packed up the car and drove across the street for gas.  The racket was already
evident.

Not much to go on, but can you guess what the problem was?  Tip: I fixed it
myself, in the shade of a parked semi, before we left State Line.

Eddy