Mystery Noise

To: Tigers Digest <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Mystery Noise
From: "Ed E. Powell" <102430.3640@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 30 Mar 97 21:31:52 EST
Kirt Jenssen says, "I believe it to be a vacuum leak !"

How CLOSE you are, sir!  Next trip, you're coming with me.

Okay, so, with that, here's the answer: There was a kinked vacuum hose.  As the
engine got warm, the hose became more pliant.  Vacuum increased on deceleration,
which sucked the hose walls together and caused the goose-honk noise.  So there
it is.

I had put a heater core back in place just before the trip, and had moved hoses
around in the process.  What a relief to discover that the solution was simple
and cheap!  We continued to Laughlin, Nevada.  I won thirty-two bucks at poker
and bought a new heater control valve when I got home.

Douglas Pruitt suggested the brake booster.  I confess that I don't know if the
hose ran to the booster or not -- I know paltry little about automobiles -- but
the hose was headed in that general direction from the somewhere below the
carburetor.

Thanks to all for you ideas!  You have demonstrated to me the remarkable insight
available from subscribers to this list, and you'll probably be hearing more
from me as future problems arise.  You have also demonstrated fine wit, which I
also enjoyed hugely.

Every you humble Tiger-phile,
Eddy