Re: Tiger 4-Speed??

To: larryall@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Tiger 4-Speed??
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 11:46:08 +0000
Larry Allbritton wrote:

> Paul Burr wrote:
> >
> > Tim: the Tiger trans. IS the early Fairlane gearbox. Get your hands on a
> > catalog from Dan Williams Toploader Transmissions (Always has ads in
> > Hemmings) It clearly explains the differences in tail shafts and front
> > bearing sizes. He sells outright, or will rebuild your trans. Also
> > recommed using a Hurst shifter. I have the p/n's to use in a Tiger. One
> > of the best mod's you can do to a Tiger.
>
> Hello Paul,
>
> I've got the original shifter in my Mk 1.  I would be interested in
> information you have about changing the original setup to a Hurst
> shifter.  I've had Hurst in some of my other cars in the past and found
> them to be very precise shifters.  If you have the P/N for a Mk 1 and
> also a source I sure would appreciate any info.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Larry Allbritton
> B9472723
Larry: You'll need the following; (All are competition plus model p/n's)
Installlation Kit, 373 3167. Shifter 391 7535. Shifter w/o stick; 391
5401. The kit has all the shifter rods, hardware, etc. Their shortest
lever is still to tall to clear the console. I've got a Hurst stick
thats been shortend and rewelded so it fits in the Tiger. $20, it's
yours! Some guys buy a Mustang lever and weld it to the Hurst mount to
retain the stock look.
It's a tight fit, but it does fit. I had to dimple the trans.tunnel @
1/8" deep to stop the longest shift rod from rubbing. Don't worry, the
carpet will cover it! Also, if you can borrow time on an overhead lift
do it!
Working on jack stands in my garage slowed me down. Also, I found that
dropping the box unit( the part the shift handle attaches to) onto the
trans was only possible by passing it through the shifter hole in the
interior of the car. There's no way you'll get it from under the car!
Don't let the grunt work discourage you. My Tiger couldn't shift for
crap with the old stock unit. The Hurst was 1000% Better! Rock solid,
vibration free, and the firmest cleanest shifts possible!
 Any speed shop that sells Hurst products should be able to order this.
Try the mail order guys like Summit and PAW, also. The price for a whole
sheebang 4 years ago was @ $250.