TVR Griffiths

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TVR Griffiths
From: Rob Hogan <rob_hogan@michweb.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 23:22:34 -0500
Allan Connell wrote:
> As an aside, I joined a TVR thread to help a friend out with some tech
> questions.

On the subject of TVR's, particularly the Griffith (Vulcan?), an article
in Classic & Sportscar, Sept. '86, lists the Griffith's performance as 0
- 60 in 7.2 sec and a top speed 2 mph greater than the Tiger of
comparison.  With less weight and slightly better acceleration, why has
the Griffith been seldom seen in racing events where its attributes
would be demonstrated?  I've been to many SCCA road races and Solo I and
II events in the Midwest and have never seen a Griffith in competition,
certainly not to the extent of even the few Tigers that have been
raced.  The vehicles are sparse, but their exposure is probably much
less than the number of cars in this country.  Does anyone know what the
289 C.I. powered TVR's strong and weak points are?  Some have described
the car as a twitchy handful to handle and keep pointed in the direction
of intent.