Engine number mysteries revealed!?

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net (Return requested) (Receipt notification requested)
Subject: Engine number mysteries revealed!?
From: "Jorquera, Mario" <Mario.Jorquera@fhwa.dot.gov>
Date: 10 Apr 1997 09:05:31 -0400
On  Wed, 9 Apr 1997 Dennis Adderton wrote
Subject: engine numbers

"I have a 66 Mk1A that I recently bought. I'm trying to
figure out what engine it has in it <snip>
C4OE-6015-C  The C4OE says '64 Fairlane engine. Is this
engine supposed to be in a Tiger? Does the rest of the
number indicate whether it's a 260 or a 289?  Is it true
that, due to thin wall casting, a 260 cannot be bored to
a 289?"

All Mk 1 & 1A Tigers had '64 Ford Fairlane engines.
Rootes bought a big batch of them and used them until
the MK2 came out with a 289.  If it truly is a '64 Fairlane
engine, then it's a 260.  While your engine number
does not mean anything to me, the 260, 289 and even
the 302 are essentially the same block, so boring out is
certainly possible.

If you really want to find out more about your particular
Tiger, register it with Norm Miller's "International
Registry of Sunbeam Tigers."   I registered my MK 1,
and was amazed at what he came up with.  Just go to
"http://www.best.com/~rootes1/reg1.htm"; and fill in the
blanks.