Eastwood's Carb Renew Kit?

To: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net, fordnatics@lists.best.com,
Subject: Eastwood's Carb Renew Kit?
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 09:18:42 -0700
Eastwood sells what they call "Carb Renew Kit".  The description
refers to it as a translucent dye.  I'm very interested in hearing from
anyone who has tried this stuff because I'm considering ordering some.
I have a vintage Holley carb that needs rebuilding.  The old coating,
which looks like cad plating to me, is in pretty bad shape and is worn
off in many places giving the carb a kind of pinto look.  Eastwood also
sells a cleaner.  Will this cleaner take off the old coating.  I suspect
if it's left on, the new finish won't have a very uniform look.  I've
notice that the areas where the old coating is missing is a bit
oxidized.  I'm wonder how well this dye sticks to oxidized pot metal.
I'm guessing the oxidation will have to come off first.  Will Eastwood's
cleaner take this off?  Can I risk using something like mag wheel
cleaner to get if off?

Another option I'm considering is sending the carb out for rebuilding.
There's a shop in Southern California, either in East Los Angeles or in
Riverside County called the Carburetor Shop (I think) that was
recommended by the machine shop that did the machine work on my engine.
Good/bad feedback on this place would be welcome.

Thanks,

Roland
cobra@cdc.hp.com