Stu's 30 Amp Gage

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Stu's 30 Amp Gage
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 97 06:55:57 -0600
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     OK, I didn't tell the whole story yesterday, so here it is.  When I
     got the car, the gage didn't indicate anything.  If you looked real
     close, the pointer maybe moved once in a while, but maybe it was just
     vibration.

     Checking the wiring, I found that it had been wired in using real thin
     stranded hookup wire, maybe 26 or 28 gage.  Clearly it was added later
     by someone unfamiliar with moving electrons.  Checking further, I
     found it was added just the way it indicated in the book, but they
     didn't disconnect the original path so that the current could flow
     through the gage.  Good thing they didn't, too.

     Anyway, I rewired, and it now indicates amps just fine.

     I hadn't had the gage out for years, so I crawled underneath the dash
     last night for another look. The  side of the round case appears to be
     metal, while the actual back of the case is black, perhaps some sort
     of plastic.  The illumination slots are just outside the rear surface
     of the instrument panel.  It should be real easy to fabricate a
     bracket to put a light in there, but it's not vital at the moment.  I
     also have a voltmeter, so I can keep track of the electrics during the
     one night a year I drive it.  The face of the gage has the entire
     pointer exposed, and the glass is slightly domed outward.  Does this
     sound familiar to anyone?  My guess is that it was recycled out of an
     older British car.

     Stu